Address proof Letter for proof of Residency
An address proof letter, as the name itself suggests, it establish the proof of Residency of an individual. It is a legal document issued by Government Authorities verifies the Address proof or proof of residence.
What is Proof of Residency?
Proof of residency as the word suggests are referred to the documents that certify where you live. Such documents should have your name and your address, issue date, and its validity. Such documents are asked for at any place, whether you are going for a job, or going for some official work. If you are going to a big conference on the behalf of your office, there you may need to show proof of residence, the document which makes sure you are the authentic person. Proof of residency documents must be issued by the government of authority, utility company, or financial institution. It should have your unique reference which cannot be found in any other card.
It is a must have document as Proof of residency or address proof letter can be used as ID proof for national identity. It requires everywhere such as address proof for passport or even if you try and avail any benefits or require to have any support from Govt. or to proof your nationality you require to have this.
Documents I can use as Proof of Residency or Address Proof:
There are different kind of documents are accepted as Proof of residence. The following proof of address documents are commonly used and accepted in countries like United States, Canada, Australia and India:
- Social Security Number:- In the United States, a Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary ( working) residents under section 205 of the Social Security Act, codified as 42 U.S.C. 405. The number is issued to an individual by the Social Security Administration, an independent agency of the United States government. Although the original purpose for the number was for the Social Security Administration to track individuals, the Social Security number has become a de facto national identification number for taxation and other purposes.
- United States passport: The United States passport card is an official identity and limited travel document issued by the United States federal government in the size of a credit card. It may be used as an identity card for purposes other than international travel, such as domestic air travel.
- Council Tax: - Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and Wales. Some property is exempt from council tax. Some people do not have to pay council tax and some people get a discount.
- T4 Slips: - T4 slip is a summary of your employment earnings and deductions for the year. To use it as proof of residence document, you can ask your Canadian employer for a copy with province of Work in Canada.
- Bank statements: - if you are using this document, make sure it is not older than 3 months. And it should have the person’s name( Full name), Address, accountant number & Issue date
- Certificate of voter registration:- you can use your voter id card, which is issued by the government and thus is believed to be authentic
- Rental Agreement or Lease Agreement: - This is used when you don’t have permanent a proof of address like Aadhaar Card or ration card. You can use this document when you are applying for local services like internet connection, getting a gas connection, or even when applying for a driving license.
- AdhaarCard: - it is an individual identification number of 12 digits that are provided by India’s Unique Identification Authority. Aadhaar card is also issued to children and to babies thus it has no age limit. It will be a unique document to you as it needs a thumbprint and eye scanning for its preparation.
- Passport: - IT is an official document issued by the respective government to a person, which allows him or her to travel to foreign countries. It may be used as evidence of an address as well as proof of an Id.
- Driving License: - for a person to apply for a driving license he or she should be over 18 years of age. He/ she should know how to drive and should have knowledge about general traffic signs, rules, and laws.
- Passbook:- if the account is currently in use and the address must also be an exact match to the one you give to any authority, a passbook is provided by the post office or any scheduled bank with the applicant's photo and address
- Utility bills: - If unfortunately, you don’t have any other documents that these bills can come to your rescue.
How do I Get Proof of Address?
You can use the documents mentioned above as proof of residence document. These documents are government-issued and have a unique number, you can also verify if the card is authentic or not with the help of this unique number.
Objectives and Uses of Address Verification Letter
A proof of address is demanded by all government, corporate, academic or social organizations before providing any kind of service to an individual. The address domicile proof must be issued by a competent legal authority.
Various uses of Address Proof Letter or Proof of Residency Letter
Find below the various uses of this documents:
For Govt Document Registration: While registering for most of the state or national programs offered by the government, like passport services, visas, Tax or Pan Card, Voter ID Card, social security, green card or other services, it is important to show a valid proof of address.
Address document for utility services: If you need to avail of vital services like electricity, gas, telephone and water connections, one needs to show a proof of address.
Address identity For Job: Even while or applying for admission at a school or college, it is mandatory that candidates show the proof of address / Residency.
Address proof for General Services: Proof of Residency is also often asked at places like Cyber Cafés, for admission in colleges/university, buying or hiring Car, while Appling for Driving license, arms license and so on.
Address proof Documents for Bank need: Opening Bank Account, loans approval, insurance, shares etc
Domicile Proof Documents for Passport: Proof of Address also required for travel passport verification, visas need, while booking a Hotel, buying Air/Railway tickets, etc
Address proof is important because it provides all vital information about a person like Full Name, Gender, Date of Birth and family details like father’s name or mother’s name. Sometimes proof of address serves as an id proof of the person. In case a person is living in a pg or rented accommodation he or she should ask the landlord to issue a rented or lease deed agreement certified by court. The lease deed will service as temporary address proof of an individual.
The address proof of a person is required for security reasons also. Address proof is required by all organization so that required verification of an individual can be done.
How do you write a letter to prove your Residency / Address
While writing proof of address letter one should remember it is a legal document. The language should be very formal. All important details should be provided in the proof address letter such as legal name, full address, and duration of stay. The information provided should be accurate because these information given to Proof of residency letter shall be used get issued various proof of residence documents such as ID Card to be used as proof for identity and to issue passport from the Government Authorities as well. To prepare a proof of residency letter or proof of address letter you need to follow the steps given below:-
- Understand the purpose
You need to see who will need this type of letter. You need to check if they have any specific requirements for the same. Many times what differs is the need for a signature, signatures from different authorities may be required and without it, the proof of residency letter wouldn’t be valid. Also, pay attention to any other document that is needed along with this letter of residency.
- Create a heading
Heading that you can use is “Affidavit of residency”/ “Proof of residency”, Make sure you place it in the middle of the document with bold letters.
- Date of letter
As it is a formal address proof letter or proof of residency letter, you can use the numeric format “MM/DD/YY” or you can write it as “July 4, 2012”. Put the date on the left side. If there is any specific requirement for the date keep that in mind.
- Include your contact information
Put your contact information on the left side. In contact information you need, full name, address, email address, and phone number if required.
Address the person “To whom it may concern”. If you know the name of the concerned authority or individual you can mention it.
Mention your concern in the body and mention your address by ending the body stating the authenticity of the letter.
- Closing phase with your name
You can type: - “Sincerely “or “Regards” and below that mention your name, if it needs signature you can put your signature as well.
Find 10+ ready to use Address proof sample Letter template in word and PDF format to download for better understanding and quick uses: